- The Newaygo community approved a Bonding Proposal at an election on May 3, 2016.
- Several months of planning took place and the construction began in June, 2017.
- The School Board has formally approved the name for the new/renovated elementary structure. It will be called Newaygo Elementary School. There will be designated "wings" of the building named after Vera Wilsie, Velma Matson, and Jack Long.
- In summer, 2018, work will continue to renovate the current elementary structure (including the gym, cafeteria, and the two wings that were not demolished).
- In spring/summer, 2018, secure entrances will also be done on the Middle School and High School as well as renovation of the bus garage/maintenance area parking lot, and upgrades in building access and control systems.
What is the plan for where students attend school in the Fall, 2018?
Kindergarten - Newaygo Elementary School (in newly constructed wing).
1st grade - Newaygo Elementary School (in newly constructed wing).
2nd grade - Vera Wilsie Building
3rd grade - Vera Wilsie Building
4th grade - Newaygo Elementary School (in newly constructed wing).
When will 2nd and 3rd grade move into the new facility?
After renovations of those areas are complete.
2nd grade - Will move into Newaygo Elementary School mid-year 2018-2019.
3rd grade - Will move into Newaygo Elementary School mid-year 2018-2019.
When will the Vera Wilsie building be torn down?
After the students have all settled into Newaygo Elementary School, demolition of that building will begin in January/February of 2019 and continue throughout that winter and spring of 2019.
What will happen to the Vera Wilsie playground?
At this point, the plan is to leave the playground as is.
What will happen to the land where Vera Wilsie stood?
It will be converted to green space; grass will be planted.